Firmly confirming the title of the ultimate Halal tourism destination of the world, Indonesia dominated the World Halal Tourism Award 2016 by winning 12 awards out of the total of 16 categories. The winners were announced at the awarding ceremony held on 7th December 2016 in Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
Indonesia’s Minister of Tourism, Arief Yahya, expressed his excitement at this dramatic achievement, commenting: “This is dramatic! Malaysia and Turkey have led in world’s halal tourism in the past 2 years (2015 and 2016). Now Indonesia has successfully taken over!”
Leaving only 4 other categories in which Indonesia did not send any nominees, Indonesia took home 75% of all awards.
In the first leg of the poll from 24th October to 7th November 2016, Malaysia led in 4 main categories, being: World’s Best Halal Destination, World’s Best Halal Honeymoon, World’s Best Halal Hotel, and World’s Best Halal Culinary Destination. Nonetheless, in the following 2nd leg of the competition, from 7th to 25th November, the tables turned and voters turned and voted for Lombok, Aceh, and West Sumatra,the three destinations in Indonesia that focus on halal tourism.
An unprecedented 1.9 million votes were received from 116 countries making the World Halal tourism Awards 2016 the largest travel awards presentation in the world. With a total of 383 brands and countries nominated, the World Halal Tourism Awards represent the booming global family friendly halal tourism sector. The awards celebrate outstanding products and services in the family friendly tourism sector.
These are the 12 winners of the World Halal Tourism Awards 2016:
- World’s Best Airline for Halal Travellers – Garuda Indonesia.
- World’s Best Airport for Halal Travellers – Sultan Iskandar Muda International Airport, Aceh
- World’s Best Family Friendly Hotel – The Rhadana Hotel, Kuta, Bali, Indonesia.
- World’s Most Luxurious Family Friendly Hotel – Trans Luxury Hotel Bandung
- World’s Best Halal Beach Resort – Novotel Lombok Resort & Villas, Lombok, NTB.
- World’s Best Halal Tour Operator – Ero Tour, West Sumatera Indonesia
- World’s Best Halal Tourism Website wonderfullomboksumbawa.com, Indonesia.
- World’s Best Halal Honeymoon Destination – Sembalun Village Region, Lombok, Nusa Tenggara Barat, Indonesia
- World’s Best Hajj & Umrah Operator – ESQ Tours & Travel, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- World’s Best Halal Destination – West Sumatera, Indonesia.
- World’s Best Halal Culinary Destination – West Sumatera, Indonesia
- World’s Best Halal Cultural Destination – Aceh Indonesia